Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Lump of Clay

I was attending a seminar conducted by the awesome Selene Yu, Founder of the Potter’s Leadership Academy and a high ranking Executive for both the Volvo and Chevrolet Auto brands in the Philippines at a Catholic Parish in Cainta the other day. She handed a round ball of clay out to every participant and told us to in the next 5 minutes, make something that defines who we think we are.
You have to understand. I don’t like to create physical art work. I like to look at it but I don’t like to paint, draw, work with clay or anything of the sort. And just to set the record straight, I hate playing Pictionary. If I even think for one moment that someone wants to start a game of Pictionary, that is my cue to get tired and go to bed.
With my apprehension in full gear and the clock ticking, I began to work the clay with my fingers. My mind wandered and before I knew it, I had formed something that looked like a cup. But upon further inspection, it looked like a well. At that moment, the Holy Spirit spoke to me and said, “Remember, you are a well.”
The Lord has spoken that to me many times before but I needed to be reminded. Jesus said to the Samaritan woman at the well that anyone who partakes of the water He gives us will have coming from them, a spring of living water.
I began to remember all of the times that I have been aware that the river of the life of God has flowed from my heart (or belly depending on the translation of scripture) as Jesus talked about and how often I have seen that river change somebody or a situation without my having said a word.
I remembered specifically, a lady on a bus as I was traveling through Athens a few years ago. The Holy Spirit pointed her out to me and I prayed for her from a distance without her being aware. I tangibly felt the presence of God flow from my heart to hers. I prophetically knew she was a wayward Christian and that I wouldn’t need to talk to her and that she would know what to do after receiving ministry from afar. Within minutes, she was weeping (I was also tearing) and she probably had no idea that any human was on that bus being a willing agent of God’s Spirit. After all, I was wearing sunglasses and not looking directly at her. I will see her around heaven on that great day most all of us are looking forward to…
At worship practice last night, the Spirit of God kept reminding me about it. And I talked to the worship team about being wells of God’s power and presence… about intentionally sending that river out onto the congregation every time we minister. And then the Spirit of God descended on us as we prayed together and we shared a powerful and holy moment as God’s Spirit touched us once again and prepared us for the various worship experiences we would be collectively leading this week. Wonderful!
You like me, like our worship teams at TFI are meant to be a well-spring of the life of God. Allow me to encourage you to intentionally let the river flow, let your light shine and be salt in a world that is desperate for the saltiness of genuine people of God!
As for me, I initialed my work of art and I have placed it on my car dash for now. Just to remind me of who I am supposed to be. Thanks for the project Selene! And Thank you God for reminding me once again!!!