Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hit by a Power Line

Yesterday as I was walking to run an errand near our home in Pasig City, Philippines, I rounded a corner and saw a power line falling towards me. I jumped to avoid it, but it hit me on the my left arm, right above my watch. It was a moment I will never forget. Was I feeling electricity? Was I going to die? Within a split second, I knew that there was no power surging through me and I saw that the reason why the line had fallen was because a power company crew was there and I could see the guy up on the pole with cutters in his hand.

I was angry. They had cut that line with the possibility of someone like me rounding the corner and it hitting them and had not used proper precautions. It was a big line, heavy and sharp and it hurt. I'm looking at the small scar as I write. It bled for a bit and I have applied anti-biotic ointment several times already. It's a good thing it didn't hit a little kid in the head! They apologized nervously while laughing. I wasn't laughing but I just continued on my errand and used a napkin I had in my pocket to deal with the bleeding.

I thought as I walked... How often has the enemy attacked me, provoked fear, drawn blood, hurt me to a degree, but he was ultimately powerless (limited) and could not kill me?!? More times then I can count! Sometimes several times a day! How about you?!? God is great and those who put their trust in Him shall be under His divine protection!

1 Peter 5:7-9 (NIV)
7Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
8Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. 9Resist him, standing firm in the faith, because you know that your brothers throughout the world are undergoing the same kind of sufferings.

John 10:10 (NIV)
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.