Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Not a beggar but a Barber

I saw on the streets of Manila, something that is an unusual site, even for the Philippines. A man was cutting hair on the sidewalk. He only had a stool, comb, scissors and towel but he had a line of 3 people waiting. The cardboard sign attached to the stool advertised 20 pesos. That's under 50 cents in US currency. A haircut in a mall runs about 4 dollars and in a street side shop, maybe a dollar plus. But I love the attitude of this man. No job, no shop, no capital, but he found a way to work and not to beg. Maybe some of his customers are beggars? Could be! But I love it! May more people develop a "can do" attitude like his!

I'm reminded that God does not respond to prayerful begging either. God responds to faith. I was given a prophetic word many years ago in which God told me that "...because you haven't begged, because you have stood firm in faith, I will release blessing in your life and ministry." It started to happen the very next day.

I'll break one of my own rules here and use this Cliche: If you want to be on the "cutting edge" of what God is doing, then don't beg. Instead, do something with what God has placed in your hands.