Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Helicopter, Wave Runners and Lifeguards

Today was a great day! Chad, Krystal, Joy and I went out to La Jolla (not far from South San Diego where they live), which is a very nice place for a variety of reasons including surfing, sun bathing, playing in the sand, swimming and even looking at breathtaking houses which in turn are occupied by people looking at the breathtaking views whenever they want.

At one place we stopped, we climbed down the rock formations to the beach and then Chad and I went into the waves. There were at least 100 surfers out and a few dozen people close to the shore either just enjoying the waves or body surfing. Chad and I being the good swimmers that we are ventured out a bit further then most, but others were there as well. I remember looking around and seeing two lifeguard posts, two different wave runners moving about with life guards on them and even a helicopter patrolling, looking for those who may be in peril. My thought was something along the lines of "what a safe beach!"

It wasn't but a few minutes later that I began to panic as I was sucked under in a big swell and I didn't come up for air for over a minute. And even then, I couldn't get a lung full of air because I would have inhaled salt water in my desperation. The waves kept coming, literally crashing on me and I was stunned. I noticed that I had come up away from Chad or any other swimmers. I started power swimming towards the shore but it seems like the more I tried, the more I was being dragged out and down the beach. I realized that I was actually heading towards rocks and if I got much further down, I would be body slammed on the rocks and if I didn't drown, I would probably be killed by hitting my head.

I was running out of energy. My 4 minute battle was taking it's toll because every muscle in my body was fighting for my life. I was about at the end. Let me inject a little background here. I was the guy who could go back and forth twice in an Olympic sized swimming pool under water and never come up for air. I would surf treacherous waters with my brother and others daily in Hawaii as a teenager. My formerly good ability to read waves and physical confidence deceived me. I suppose that at 40, I'm not quite in the shape I was at age 15. Maybe some of you can relate?

It was at that moment that I saw a lifeguard standing with his equipment in hand looking right at me. It was weird, but even though I was in a panic, I was embarrassed. Something inside of me didn't want to be saved by somebody else... especially a bronzed 19 year old with a washboard belly and a chest that stops female traffic.

But I realized that I needed the help. I could die. Two more waves like the 50 or so that had got me to where I was and I would have been done. I raised my right arm in the air and cried out, "HELP ME!" Just then, another wave crashed over me and brought me out in the opposite direction of the rocks and my feet landed on the sand. I hadn't felt the sand under my feet in awhile and it felt good! The lifeguard who was already knee deep in the water stopped and returned to his perch when he saw that I was alright. I'm not sure he would have made it in time anyway. I know that my God heard my cry for help even though I had directed the cry to the lifeguard. It was a miracle because how I landed after that wave took me made no sense whatsoever.

A stranger who had seen what was going on but was helpless patted me on my back as I made my way to the shore and he said "it's good to have you back." I went and collapsed on the towel beside Joy and she picked strands of seaweed out of my hair while I panted. I didn't catch my breath fully for at least 15 minutes. It was like I used to feel after competing in long distance running. I was thanking God with every breath!

What did I learn? The presence of people who can save you is not an indicator that it is safe, but often a reminder that there is danger. How often can I relate that to the Church. Sometimes the presence of those who can help has given me a false sense of security. And while I was fighting for my life I was embarrassed, almost too embarrassed to cry out for help?!? How pride filled can I be? Crazy! I thank God for saving me today and for this reminder.

One last thing... Please be safe this summer! Especially you middle aged men like me! Let the youngsters who still have bodies with single digit body fat have their day in the sun! Stay in reach and use a water proof spf 50 or above sun blocker!